10 Things you can do to reduce your fuel bill in 2019
If you want to reduce your fuel bill in 2019, we've got some good news. While the prices aren't going to drop anywhere near where we'd like them to be any time soon, there are changes you can make to your driving style that will make a difference.
- Need to go to the dentist, the supermarket and on a school run? Try to do it consecutively. When your car has been switched off for a few hours it uses more fuel for the first 10km of our trip.
- You use the most fuel in first and second gear. As such, rush hour is not a great time to save on fuel. Try to avoid it if possible, and stay at a steady speed if at all possible when you do get stuck.
- Feeling warm? Rather close the windows and use the A/C. Opening the windows at speed with increase the drag on your vehicle and up your fuel consumption.
- Take off your roof rack when you're not using it to ensure that the drag on your vehicle is reduced.
- Avoid a cluttered boot by clearing out sport gear, etc. when you get home. Added weight = added fuel expenditure.
- Don't rush yourself. Ideally you want to be travelling at 80 - 90 km/h in your top gear to save fuel, so you want plenty of time to get where you're going.
- It may seem counterintuitive, but dropping a gear rather than stepping on the accelerator when you're at speed is the most fuel-efficient move.
- Only use the air-conditioner when you really need to.
- Simplify the maths by adhering to the speed limit - it's safe and fuel efficient.
- Keep an eye on your tyre pressure. Low pressure requires more fuel.
These are 10 things you can do to reduce your fuel bill in 2019. For more helpful advice on keeping your auto-related expenses in check, keep an eye on the blog in coming weeks and months. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to the Mahindra team for more info on the fuel-efficient models we have available.